Saturday 13 May 2023

The Falkland Islands, Nov - Dec 2022

In late 2022, I travelled to the opposite end of the world to The Falkland Islands, in the South Atlantic. I cannot recommend this trip highly enough: I loved the sense of wilderness: outside the capital Stanley, this is a place for nature. I visited independently, organising accommodation myself on three islands (Sea Lion, Saunders and Carcass), and also staying in Stanley and at Volunteer Point on East Falkland to view the King Penguins. I travelled to this British Overseas Territory on a LATAM flight from Santigago, via Puntas Arenas to Mount Pleasant RAF base. I then used FIGAS, the Government Air Service, to travel between the islands. The locals were exceptionally hospitable and kind, and the scenery had a rugged beauty which  appealed greatly to me. I will have fond memories of this trip for many years: despite the familiarity of British groceries, accents and road signs, there was a real sense of adventure. The vast majority of tourists visit The Falklands on a cruise ship, usually as a brief stopping off point on the way to or from Antarctica. If you want more solitude, and more time with the penguins and marine mammals, I highly recommend a longer stay on land.

 I'm far from an expert bird photographer, but I've uploaded some of my modest attempts at capturing images of elephant seals and a few species of penguin on the pages that follow.

Falkland Islands 2022 Contents:

Sea Lion Island (Nov 21-23)

Sea Lion Island Elephant Seals (Nov 21-23)

Saunders Island (Nov 24-26)

Carcass Island (Nov 27-29)

Carcass Island Elephant Seals (Nov 28)

Volunteer Point (Nov 30- Dec 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment